Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Key Lime Mousse Pie and Homemade Samoas

Ohhhh, yaaaaaa'lllll. I was at the gym and one of the TVs was set to Food Network, which is either brilliant or completely insane. I usually just watch with my eyes glazed over, but this time Paula Deen made me want to run home and make this right away.

It's a Key Lime Mousse Pie, and, being Paula Deen, is crazy rich. I tried to make it less fattening with low-fat cream cheese and low-fat whipped topping. I also cheated by using bottled key lime juice, but, really, we don't get them a lot here in Colorado. Judging by the moans of delight from my friends, no one minded a bit.

I'd originally planned to bring Homemade Samoa bars, at least until Paula derailed me. I think I like the Samoas just a bit more than Thin Mints, although it's a close race. So, I was thrilled when I found a recipe to make them at home. I was ecstatic when I found the bars variation.

Because I'm lazy, I melted the chocolate on the shortbread base, which was a suggestion from one of the comments on another site. I just put some chips on the cookie base, right out of the oven and used the residual heat to melt them. Worked awesome.

Next time, I'll only make two changes: use a larger pan so the shortbread is a bit thinner and make my own caramel so I can have a higher caramel-to-cocnut ratio for the topping.

Oh yes, there will be another time. For both these recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment