Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cow Pops and "Short" Cake

The Boy's office had a bake sale to raise money for a local food bank, so I decided to make more Cake Pops. And since he works at a dairy company, I decided to make Cow Cake Pops. When The Boy told the bake sale organizer, she said jokingly "Your wife is the kind of wife that makes other wives look bad." I say I just live too close to the crafting trifecta of Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby.


I was smarter this time and spread the work out over multiple days. I used a chocolate cake and vanilla icing base, since the coating and candy decorations are so sweet, they need something darker to balance them.




They turned out really well. I couldn't find any candy pens, so I used Wilton Chocolate Icing for the spots and Wilton Black Icing for the eyes, nostrils and mouths.


Everyone loved them! The Boy said they got a lot of compliments and every single one (I ended up sending in 36) sold for $2 each. I was very flattered.


I found a link to the Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake cake through Pioneer Woman's food blog email. It's a dangerous email to get, as it will make you crave whatever it is she's blogging about and you're probably reading it in the morning before you've had breakfast.


The actual recipe, or "recipe" to be more precise, is from I Am Baker. It's insanely easy to make: a white cake from a mix, a red velvet cake from a mix, Cool Whip and choped strawberries. That's it.





Two things to know: this cake is absolutely delicious and it's huge. It's so tall, I couldn't fit the lid of my cake carrier over it. I had to drive to my friend's house, so I went, like, 20mph just to be sure it didn't topple over.

I just did the simple vertical lines for decorating, but I'd love to try to more "scalloped" version at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment