Thursday, March 28, 2013

Exposed Zipper Bag

I haven't been sewing much because I bought a serger a few months ago and I've been trying to figure out how it works. I made the mistake of using it for something that was probably more suited to a regular sewing machine and got really frustrated.  It stayed in its plastic covering and I tried to figure out what to do.

A good friend suggested Craftsy. They have lots of online classes, for everything from pattern recreation to cake decorating. I signed up for a beginning serging class, assembled my machine and got ready to learn.

It's awesome. The instructor, Amy Allen, is so friendly and helpful. The projects are useful and all the handouts are clear. I feel much more confident now.

The first project was an exposed zipper bag. I got a couple fat quarters, b/w houndstooth and a blotchy pink, a black zipper and four cones of black thread. It was fairly quick and easy! My zipper seam allowances aren't completely even, but I'm probably the only person who really notices and cares. I'm totally going to get more supplies and make more of these.



No comments:

Post a Comment