Thursday, September 5, 2013

Vogue 8942: The Frog Purse

  Sometimes I'll make something just for the experience of making it. I know I probably won't use or wear it, but something inside me told me to sew or bake or cook it, regardless of the benefits. This is one such project.

I know that I am most likely too old to carry off a frog purse. I also like my clothes and every day accessories streamlined and easy to wear. None the less, when I saw this Vogue frog purse pattern, I knew I had to make it. Just like the frog quilt from a few months ago.
   

The pattern has a lot of pieces, especially small pieces, but they slide together fairly easily. If you do decide to make this, or the owl version, use denim (or other sharp and strong) needles. I broke at least three universal needles trying to sew through a zipper tape/interfaced wool/tri-folded suede sandwich. Also, as you can see a bit in the second picture, my suede tended to fray, but the pattern doesn't call for encasing the raw edges, so either break out the Fray Check or serger, or choose a fabric that won't fray easily.

Time will tell if this cute guy gets any use. It has three pockets in addition to the main opening, which is always a bonus. Maybe I'll take it for a trial run when the weather gets colder. Wool houndstooth, even in frog form, is not made for 90 degree days.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I was wondering if you still had this pattern and would be willing to sell it? I've been looking all over this pattern and most seem to no longer be in circulation!

    ReplyDelete