Thursday, January 27, 2011

An Inspired Use of Appliques

As any parent knows, potty training is a process of hits and misses (figurative and literal), trying to find ways to get the toddler to want to use the potty. For the Bean, chocolate is the perfect reward (fyi, despite their claims, M&Ms do melt in your hand). The big hurdle was getting her to want to wear underwear.

I bought some pink absorbant underwEar from Target, but she didn't like it as much as the regular underwear that had fun characters on it. Then I got a brilliant idea: fun, iron-on appliques, so I could personalize her underwear to give her something special. It worked like a charm -- she loves them.

The fabric-based appliques worked best. I couldn't get the paint/plasticey ones to work, and the beaded flowers came off after one wash. So if you want to try this, get a few types and experiment to see what works best for you. My friend S also suggested fabric paints.

It's made a huge difference in the process and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the diaper-free tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment