Monday, March 7, 2011

Cheesecake Bars and Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Cheesecake is another one of those easy-but-takes-a-while things,but it's so totally worth it. I made King Arthur Flour's Vanilla Cheesecake Bars for a Mom's Night Out and got rave reviews. My friend V wants a standing order for each month.

I highly recommend using the lemon peel and juice in the recipe. It doesn't add a real strong lemony flavor, but it gives a nice complexity to the vanilla and creamyness that I really like. The next time I make these, I might try another marble variation, using that Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter and chocolate wafers for the crust.

I had a bunch of egg whites left over, so I decided to try my hand at a Chocolate Angel Food Cake. The recipe from Pie in the Sky has consistently worked for me, so I started with that. I was a little worried about replacing some of the flour with cocoa powder, since flour is really necessary to create the proper structure at high altitudes so the cake doesn't fall. I decided to go for it, and replaced 1/3 cup of floiur with cocoa powder and made sure to underbeat the egg whites, per the instructions, so they'd have plenty of room to expand while cooking.

It worked! The chocolate flavor isn't overhwelming, but nice and light, like you'd want in an Angel Food Cake. I kept the almond extract, since I love that combination, and next time I might try the orange zest and flavor substitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment