Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chinese Lantern Skirt

I saw this skirt in Threads Magazine and was intrigued. It looked pretty easy, very comfortable, and fun and stylish. I've never cut anything (deliberately) on the bias, so it was a new technique I wanted to try.




I got some grey silky jersey from Fabric.com and the Chinese Lantern Pattern from Fashion in Harmony and was good to go. There are only 2 pattern pieces, 3 pieces of fabric and 5 seams. The hardest part is finding enough space to cut out the fabric.






The picture doesn't really do it justice. The fabric is gorgeous, very 40's film star, and the bias cut makes it drape beautifully. I didn't make a drawstring waist, I just used elastic.






I can see wearing this with a t-shirt and flats for running around or with a nicer shirt and heels for a date night or something fancier.






It took me about an hour to sew, even with my learning curve for my narrow-hem foot. I might have to find some other fun fabric and make another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment