Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ombre Ruffled Apron

  My second project in my serger class was an ombre, ruffled apron with rolled hems. I wrote down the wrong number of  colors so I only had four ruffles instead of five. I made it work with a bit of math and a drawing to help me visualize. I chose a bunch of shades of pink and got some fun variegated pink and white decorative thread.

It's definitely a learning curve. There are so many more variables and pieces than in my regular sewing machine. it's like learning to drive a stick shift after learning how to drive an automatic transmission. I made my ruffles a bit tights so I had to slide them on the thread tails a bit to get them the right width. I had to play around with the tensions to get the rolled hem right. 

It turned out really cute, even with all the frustrations. I think I can adapt these techniques to make some cute ruffled dresses and skirts for the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment