Monday, July 11, 2011

Smoked Turkey and Cheese Salad

Sometimes it's just too hot to cook. On those days, it's much easier to just pull a bunch of stuff out of the fridge and call it dinner. This recipe is perfect for such an occasion. Even better, you can throw the whole thing together the day before, and it tastes even better.

I got this from my stepmother, I have no idea where she got it. My brother says he has some kind of issue with a fruit/nut/meat combination, so he never ate it, but I more than made up for it.

Smoked Turkey and Cheese Salad
* 1 lb. smoked turkey breast, skin removed (I've also used roasted chicken and it's just as delicious)
* 1/2 lb. jack cheese
* 2 apples
* 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved if large
* 1 cup thinly sliced celery
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/2 cup cashews
* watercress or fresh greens
* 6 (or more) strips fried, crisp bacon (I'm lazy and use the pre-made stuff)

Tart-Sweet Dressing
* 1 cup mayonaise
* 1/3 cup yogurt
* 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
* 2 tbsp. honey
* salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare dressing first and chill at least 1 hour.
2. Toss the sliced turkey, cheese, apples, grapes, celery, raisins and nuts. Pour dressing over ingredients and toss to combine. Chill for 3 hours or overnight.
3. To serve, mound greens on plate and add bacon bits to top.

No comments:

Post a Comment