Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trying Something New

Partly due to having three dresses fail (more on that, later) and partly to realizing I'm making fabulous clothes I have nowhere to go in, I've decided to try quilting. Or, rather, try quilting again.

When I first got my machine, I made a simple quilted table runner. It didn't turn out too badly, but I wasn't realy happy with the process and can still see all th mistakes in the end project. Last year, I had the brilliant idea to make patchwork placemats from somme of my scrap fabric. However, I didn't really secure the batting, so it bunches up when they're washed (which, I could probably fix easily). It's also the project where I learned how valuable it is to have A)a sharp rotary cutter blade and 2) a security handle for the ruler. Because, otherwise, you end up seriously slicing a finger rolling the cutter back and forth because it won't cut. And, if you're me, you have a bad reaction to the tetanus shot the doctor gives you.

Where was I?

So, a little while ago, I picked up my Denyse Schmidt book and flipped through the pages to see if anytthing tickled my fancy. I loved the Just a Bunch of Squares pattern. It's fun and funky, and even better, the way the blocks are framed and cut, you can make them more or less off kilter, intentionally or not.

I'm armed with fabric, fresh rotary cutter blades and health insurance, should anything need to be sewn back on. By a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment