Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hippy Golf Shirts

My stepmother, J, plays in a golf tournament every year that always has a fun theme. However, it's played at a somewhat stuffy golf course, so you don't want to go too overboard with the theme shirts. Delicate balance, right?

This year, the theme was "Hippy Chick". And since I love my Silhouette, I offered to design the shirts for J and her partner, C.

We figured everyone would go for tie-dye and peace signs, so we didn't want to go there. My dad, D, kept urging me to put a big cannibis leaf on the front. Which, in Colorado, isn't so much "hippy" as "current legal medical alternative".

I did a search on the Silhouette online store for "hippy" and a lava lamp came up in the results. I was delighted. I had pink and silver heat transfer and a bunch of rhinestones. I decided to put the lamps on the backs of the shirts (as a lava lamp between the breasts isn't exactly the most flattering look) and some 60's slogans/golf puns on the front.





I thought it was a great mix of the theme, wearability and appropriateness. J told me the shirts were a big hit and a bunch of people wanted to know how to do them. Let the crafting ripple effect begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment