Thursday, November 10, 2011

Battenberg Cake

I'm American, but I definitely have a fondness for Things British. Doctor Who, Coupling, Emma Thompson, the James Bond movies, Jane Austen, just to name a few. One of my favorite book series is the Thursday Next series, by Jasper Fforde. If you haven't read them, I highly suggest them. They're fun, but literary and have a kick-ass heroine.




Whenever Thursday visits her mom, Battenberg cake is served. The first time I came across the term, I googled it, thought "that looks yummy" and went on my merry way. Then, I started reading Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate), which is a Steampunk take on the whole vampire/werewolf trope, on my iPad Kindle app, saw another reference to the cake, immediately googled it again, and got sucked into searches for a recipe.




It's really pretty easy. I had to jury-rig a pan to cook the bi-colored batter, using a concept from a very helpful YouTube video. I ended up dividing a 8"x 8" pan with some tin foil and it worked perfectly. My cake fell slightly, so I might have to tweak the leavening and/or baking time a bit. I also used a 7oz. tube of marzipan from the store, so I didn't have to worry about making my own.




It was delicious. I'd love to try an orange/chocolate version for Halloween, or a red/green combo for Christmas. Really, anything covered in marzipan will be devoured quickly by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment