Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Homemade Princess Dresses

The girls are almost 3 and 4 , so it's natural they're starting to hit The Princess Phase.  They've always loved all things shiny and fancy and I think "princess" is an extension of that.

The Bean got a blue Cinderella dress for her birthday a few years ago and it's definitely showing signs of wear.  In fact, it looks like Cinderella's mouse-made ballgown after the evil stepsisters got their hands on it.  I wondered if I could make them each a dress, without going overboard, of course.  Something a little sturdy, but with enough razzle dazzle to be princess like.

Armed with ambition and coupons, I went to the fabric store.  I found Simplicity 5695 and thought view F, with the overskirt, would work nicely.  Some pink and purple cotton fabric, tulle, ribbon and rosettes and I was good to go.  And all for $25!

I had a happy accident when I was cutting out the cotton.  Since it was quilting fabric, it was narrower than I thought, so I didn't have enough to cut out the sleeves.  However, the tulle was 60" and I'd gotten a little extra, so I cut the sleeves out of that fabric and it added just a bit more of the fanciness I wanted.

The dresses were incredibly easy to sew.  There's no zipper, buttons or velcro, just elastic around the whole neckline.  The gathered skirt is very forgiving and a even easier if you have a narrow hem foot.  You could customize it any way you wanted with trimmings.

Both girls love their dresses. And thy love to wear them while they're running, jumping, and playing with dinosaurs.  Just what the best princesses do.

No comments:

Post a Comment