Thursday, July 11, 2013

Eggshell Geodes

  Summer has sapped my will to write. It seems more important to sit on the porch playing a hidden object game or take the girls to the pool. I have been crafty, but just don't have the willpower to write about it.

Anyway, the girls love geodes. Their granpa gave them a big, purple one and they have to see all the "shiny rocks" when we go to the science museum. I found a homemade eggshell geode activity in my Pinterest list and decided the girls would love it.  They did; infact, they loved it so much we did it 2 weeks in a row.

I found a recipe on The Happy Scientist that uses epsom salts instead of borax or alum. The first time we did this, I used 6 eggshells. They worked really well, but don't hold up well in little hands. The second time, I raided our stash of plastic easter eggs, sticking some duck tape on the bottom to seal up the holes.

It was a lot of fun and the girls were incredibly excited to see how everything turned out. I think I didn't get the water hot enough the first time as the crystals didn't turn out all that well. The second try was much better. And now, I have lots of epsom salts for a relaxing bath. It's a win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment