Saturday, September 11, 2010

Kimono Wrap Dress

I really have no need for a whole wardrobe of wrap dresses. I stay at home with 2 little ones, so yoga pants and t-shirts that aren't hurt by a little milk or peanut butter or god-knows-what work best for my lifestyle. But I love a good knit wrap dress nonetheless. God bless Diane Von Furstenburg.

Being big-busted, I have a hard time finding dresses that are cut high enough on top so I don't have to wear a camisole but are still flattering to the rest of me. Hot Pattern's Wong-Singh Jones Kimono Wrap Dress is a perfect fit. In fact, it's so perfect, I've made it 3 times since I got the pattern a few months ago.

The pattern itself isn't too bad. One piece is mis-labeled and the illustrations could have been a bit clearer in spots, but I put it together fairly quickly and easily. I think the original length for the ties is a little long, but the double-wrap effect is nice.

My first version, I didn't really change anything. I found some really cool kelly green knit fabric in the remnant bin at Denver Fabrics and got a nice, lightweight black knit for the body of the dress.







My second version had 2 problems. The first was that I used from a bit heavier knit, which made the skirt in particular less flowy and graceful. The other problem was the color scheme, teal with black accents.







While there is nothing wrong with teal and black, the overall effect makes me look like I should pair it with knee-high black boots and a beehive so I can join James T. Kirk on the Starship Enterprise.


The third version is the one I took with me to Montreal. I shortened the sleeves and the ties. The fabric is a beautiful fireworks-type pattern in gray, pink and white on a black background with a solid pink knit for the ties. Gorgeous Fabrics lives up to its name.


I live in the modern "mom uniform" of tees and capris, but I dream in flowy wrap dresses with great accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment