Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Feast

I'm working on a whole post on my love for knit wrap dresses, but for now, we'll talk about what I made to eat this Labor Day.

The Pioneer Woman is my new food crush. A friend turned me on to her pizza dough recipe, which has now become our Friday night staple. After flipping through delicious recipe after mouth-watering recipe, I bought her book the other day. The first recipe (among many) that I had to make right away was her Cinnamon Rolls.

I made the dough Sunday night and left it to rise in the fridge over night. When I went to get it this morning, it looked a bit like The Blob as it had spilled over the sides of my mixing bowl and was heading for the fridge shelf. (Note to self: next time put it in a larger bowl.) Assembling the rolls didn't take too long and soon I was in gooey, cinnamon-ey heaven. I froze the other 5 (yes, 5!) pans of rolls for future cravings.

Leftover pizza was lunch. I'd made a veggie pizza and it was still delicious.

Dinner was BBQ Beer Can Chicken (thanks to Cook's Illustrated), sauteed zucchini and squash (with seasonings from Savory), and Orange-Carrot Basmati Rice. It's an amazing rice dish, with honey, shredded carrots, orange zest, cardamom and a little red pepper. The smell is amazing--it reminds me a bit of the smell from making candied orange peels.

Dessert was Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream, semi-homemade. I did break down and use store-bought lemon curd, but I did mix the buttermilk and curd together and turn the ice cream machine on all by myself.

Now, I need a whole wardrobe of knit wrap dresses to accomodate my full belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment