Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Frakkin' Awesome Skirt







I really like skirts more than shorts (and am very excited that skorts are more cute and fashionable now than 20 years ago). Skirts that I can wear while running errands and chasing after the girls are my new obsession.



Enter the Wong-Singh-Jones Kyoto Skirt from Hot Patterns. It's cute, fun and practical. And, if you watch the You Tube videos from Trudy, very versatile and changeable.



I made it first in a lightweight denim, but it wasn't drapey enough, especially in the godet in the back. It puffed out at the hips where the interfacing for the piping was, and no woman wants to look like she has puffy hips. Also, I did the top stitching in a matching, rather than coordinating, thread, so it got lost in the fabric.



I tried again with a back cotton sateen and, here I cheated, used gray quilt bias binding for the trim, instead of making my own. I used a gray thread for the topstitchingand leftover gray fabric for the pocket flap lining.






The back godet/yoke/sides are made first and as I was doing the topstitching and attaching the trim, the whole effect really reminded me of Battlestar Galactica.




I know the picture isn't great, but don't you get a Galactica vibe, too? Hence, I call it my Frakkin' Awesome Skirt. I highly recommend making one or at least Netflixing the series.



No comments:

Post a Comment